Saturday, January 18, 2014

Inching toward Spring

It's been a few weeks, and now the Rowland's are on the upswing.  I can walk again(woohoo!) which was a long time coming, to say the least.  I have been walking more and doing light duty chores.  Still trying to keep away from the lifting too much.  It was really shocking how tired I was after just some short walks a few days ago.  Now I am starting to get my wind back though!  I am learning how to use the little Skid Steer, its a little baby loader type machine.  It is perfect for the tasks I have and its like having ten extra strong backs to help!

I have started clearing an old garden of the top layer of "stuff" that open spaces seem to collect, ya know tires, bottles, weird pipes and random old farm stuff.  It's been neat, with the weather mild, I can really see what certain parts of the farm used to be for, before it became a full time gravel mine. It's strange...echo's of the past.  Happy echo's, I get to see my grandfather that I never knew, everyday.  I see him in the structures, the fields, the forest and in the mine.  I see his dream of raising his family in the country.  I think he would be happy that the old farm was a farm again.  

The farm is like a baby farm right now.  I mean that figuratively and literally.  We are new farmers, but also the quails are poppin out eggs like crazy. Soon it will be baby animals everywhere, prepare for a ridiculous cuteness post when the baby quails hatch.  Cross your fingers, we had one explode and we couldn't figure out why it started smelling like the old OMSI chick hatching exhibit.  EEEWWW!

It feels so good to do chores again.  Sometimes when you're lazy you're just lazy, but when you really can NOT DO ANYTHING it seems like pure hell to not get anything done. So now I am thrilled to do chores again.  First you have to feed and clean the animal areas up.  I go out to the chickens, then to the quails and ole Phyllis Diller(she got picked on by the other hens), then out to the llamas, I watch them look arrogant for awhile and see what things I can say to try and insult them, then I head back to the woodshed fill up a light wheelbarrow load and then I head in. It has been GREAT!

Spring is coming!  We are excited here.  I turned down a long road trip of a job and it was really hard.  But just the money part was hard.  The turning point in my mind was when I was napping with my youngest and thought, "I won't get to do this until June if I take this job"so that part was a no brainer.  I also thought "Isn't this what you wanted?  TO choose family over work?"  Oh right!  That is why I did this. Everyone should  raise their own children, raise their own food, choose their own way.

Sometimes, the choice isn't the easier path, it's the one that feeds your soul.

With that I leave you with the link to my time-lapse a day December edited piece.  It shows that you can still shoot even when you can only hobble 40 feet from the house.  Enjoy!

Really good link:
https://vimeo.com/84454148

and here is the youtube...although I think Youtube quality is really poor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Call you soon for a catch up chat. -EJ