Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The wheel turns.

As I lay flat in my living room, I can see just on the other side of the baby gate, the chaos of the end of 2013...The toys from Christmas are blown across the floor, Sharon's craft stuff taking up the table, and the general debris from the whirlwind of having 2 boys.

The debris signals the end of a chaotic year.  From leaving our jobs and a move to the country, to the trials and tribulations on the farm and finally the loss of our loved Stepdad, Tom.  It has really been a tornado of an ending. But now we must pick up the pieces and continue forward.

This year the solstice passing was symbolic in so many ways.  The winter darkness came, as it does, and so it did in our lives.  With the injury I had I could not go down to mom's for our seasonal celebration, reminding me to cherish my strength because it can be gone so quickly.  But the celebration was different this year, and for our family a difficult, but known end, had finally come.  Tom Cissell, my step father, finished his fight with Cancer the day before Solstice.

I think he came to love the holiday that Mom started to celebrate, in order to see the grand kids and share the holiday season with the other 2 sets of Grandparents.  It was really something he understood. The seasons passing. Big Tom was a farmer at heart, and I think the season turning was an important thing for him.  He understood the cycles of life from his years on the farm, and understood the time to rest and I think in the end he knew it was his time to rest.

The wheel turns.

The winter is here.  We lie quietly and reflect as the cold days keep the birds puffed up and all of us bundled in the house.  The crackle of the fire in the kitchen stove reminds me of the amazing kindness that comes from other's hearts and I am relieved to remember that the world is a good place full of good people, to cherish the families we create, the ones we are given, and that together they provide us with the village that keeps us warm, fed and loved.  I will never have enough words or the right ones for the village that has taken care of my family in our time of need, so thank you, thank you, thank you.  We are forever appreciative of the time you took away from your family to help mine.

With the year setting behind us we look to the horizon, where our new life and adventure begins.  Soon our first quail babies will hatch and our latest addition to the farm will be peeping in the tool room.  We will be out in the greenhouse and thereafter the garden.  The llamas are healthy and seem to be ready for some long walks and hikes.  As Spring approaches we will have our hands full of chores and although we know it will be difficult, the feeling of the soil in our hand and the smells of spring in the country will fill our souls.  We are excited to go for it!

There is nothing stopping you from moving toward your dreams but yourself.  So I encourage you in the New Year to go for it too!

Love and best wishes for the New Year from the Rowland's

No comments: